Stockmoose16
Returning Member

Backdoor Roth - Deducting with no deduction

I'm doing a backdoor roth in TT19.  My Form 8606 looks correct, as I contributed in 2019 for 2019. 

All boxes on my 8606 are"0," except boxes 1, 3, 5, 13, 16, 17 - all of which are "6000."

But for some reason, TT is giving me a deduction for the non-deductible IRA.  When I go through the "Deductions and Credits" section. I selected "traditional IRA." Then NO repayment. I entered $6,000 as my total traditional IRA contribution. "0" was contributed after Jan 1, 2020. I answered NO to "did you change your mind?" I answered NO to having Retirement plan coverage. I answered NO to excess IRA contributions. I answered YES to non-deductible IRA contributions. I answered "0" as the basis. Then I answered "YES" to make part of my IRA contribution non-deductible. I then entered $6,000 as the amount of my contribution to make non-deductible. Under my deduction summary, it says my IRA deduction is "0," which is correct.  But my Federal tax due goes down, which makes no sense.  If I click back and select, "No, I'll keep my deduction," my Federal tax goes up.  Why are my federal taxes going down with a "0" non-deductible IRA contribution, but going up when I keep my deduction?