SEP IRA

Last year we paid for the level of tax service that gets us CPA level tax advice. 

I'm a CPA but I don't keep up with taxes. I'm a mortgage guy.

So I know enough to be dangerous. 

I tried to google this issue but can't find a reliable answer. 

QUESTION: 

background first: my wife and I are both self employed.

we're married filing jointly. no dependents. no other special tax considerations. 

we own our own separate companies. 

both S corps. we each own 100% of our own company.

the scenario is for 2020 and 2021; but if you have to base it on 2019 I'm ok with that. I'm trying to get a rough idea for planning purposes. 

Assume my business will profit $500k before wages. 

Geneva's business will profit $250k before wages. 

each company has only ourselves as an employee- ie., one employee/owner company.

we are not otherwise employed. 

Can we each set up a SEP IRA or are we restricted by an overlapping rule/stop gap? 

How much can we contribute? 

Dave (me) I'm age 54, Geneva - spouse - is age 47. 

I understand I can contribute up to 25% of wages paid up to $60,000 for Dave (catchup provision) . 

does this assume I have to pay myself W2 wages of $240,000 to be able to save $60,000? 

eg., if I only pay myself wages of $200k I can only put max of $50k in my SEP? 

Can I pay myself wages of $100k, company profit (after wages) of $300k and still contribute $60k to the SEP? - you know... to avoid unnecessary payroll taxes? 

What about Geneva? If I pay myself $240k wages and pay $60 of that to my SEP, what can she save for retirement? 

Thank you. 

If it's easier, faster to call me to discuss; please do so. [phone number removed]

David[last name removed]

Geneva [last name removed]