ScalleyMonk
Returning Member

Retirement tax questions

You are correct 37(d) without date was a typo on my part. I did a cut and paste of the "with date" info and didn't change that amount in 37(d).

I neglected to mention only the 1099-R 's coded H and B have a date in Box 11. 

Also all the 1099-R's apply to a traditional and/or Roth 401K except the one coded H which is a 401k Roth rollover to a Roth IRA and both have satisfied 5 year rule.

The 5 year rule applies to distributions from a designated Roth 401k or Roth IRA. If you have not satisfied the 5 year rule then a distribution would be subject to taxes only on the earnings portion of your withdrawal and possibly a 10% penalty if other conditions are not met.

I think your financial institution would determine what part of distribution would be taxable and would report it on your 1099-R. Maybe the the year in Box 11 is used by TT for the 10% penalty?  I don't know. But TT must be using the year for something (unintentionally or not) as it is changing your the amount of you taxes and causing a glitch.

You are correct you could leave off the year in TT and if I am not mistaken only 1099-R-s that show federal income tax withheld need to be attached the your return.

I am not sure what you mean by you "get the same results only". Are you saying you can get the correct results by entering the 1099-R's in a certain order and entering the box 11 date correctly?

I tried entering 1099-R's in different order and still get the same results.