Level 20
This widget could not be displayed.

Retirement tax questions

If a 2017 distribution it goes on the 2017 tax return.

Did you report the 2016 non deductible contribution on your 2016 tax return and filed a 8606 reporting the non-deducible basis on lines 1,3 and 14?

When you enter the 2017 1099-R it will ask if you tracked your prior year non-deductible contributions - say yes, then enter the 2016 8606 form line 14 carry forward basis to offset the 2017 distribution.