Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

If your 1099-R for 2016 showed Federal Tax withheld of $120, and the entire amount refunded to you, then you had no taxable income in 2016.

If the 1099-R for 2017 shows Federal Tax withheld of $110.60 and this amount is not being refunded to you, check your total taxable income.  

If you had other income in 2017 that you didn't have in 2016, that could make a difference (or less dependents). Maybe you had more deductions in 2016.

The best way to check this is to compare your Form 1040 from 2016 side by side with your Form 1040 for 2017.  Look at each line to see where the difference lies. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post