My mother lives with me and retired the 1st of April 2016, can I claim her on my taxes? And if so, what form do I need?

I think that's the only change
NicoleU

Retirement tax questions

You can claim your mother as a qualifying relative must meet all five of the following conditions:

- Relationship: The person must live in your home for the entire year (be a "member of your household") OR be related to you.

- Gross Income: Generally, it must be less than $4,050 (not including Social Security or welfare.)

- Support: Generally, you must provide more than half the person's support. Special rules apply for children of divorced or separated parents or children receiving support from two or more people.

- Marital status: Generally, a dependent cannot file a joint tax return with a spouse. The only exception is when the dependent files a joint return only to get a return of taxes paid and, if separate returns filed, neither dependent or spouse would have a tax liability.

- Nationality: The person must be a United States citizen; or a resident or national of the U.S., Canada or Mexico. An adopted child that is not a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada, or Mexico must live with you for the entire year.

If the above conditions are met, in TurboTax, please do the following:

• Federal Taxes
  • Personal Info
  • Add Dependent (please see the attached photo), you will choose Parent.

View solution in original post