stillsj1

I opened a ROTH IRA and contributed $5,500. I recharacterized to a Traditional IRA (because income limit), then i converted my account to a ROTH. How do I report this?

I opened a ROTH IRA and contributed $5,500 in 2018. I then recharacterized my contribution to a Traditional IRA because I exceeded the income limit for a ROTH IRA. I then i converted my account to a ROTH IRA, this was all in 2018. Now and at the time of conversion my account was at a loss for the year, so there were no gains when I did the conversion. How will I report this?

dmertz
Level 15

Retirement tax questions

Was the $5,500 contribution in 2018 a contribution for 2018 or a contribution for 2017?
stillsj1

Retirement tax questions

dmertz
Level 15

Retirement tax questions

In 2018 TurboTax, enter the original Roth IRA contribution under Deductions & Credits.  In the follow-up, indicate that you "switched or 'recharacterized'" the contribution to be a traditional IRA contribution instead and that the amount of contribution that you recharacterized was $5,500.  TurboTax will prompt you to enter an explanation statement describing the recharacterization where you'll indicate that you recharacterized your entire $5,500 and an adjusted amount of [whatever the amount was] was transferred to the traditional IRA.  TurboTax will then treat this $5,500 contribution as either a deductible or nondeductible traditional IRA contribution depending on your eligibility for a deduction (or your election to make it nondeductible if otherwise deductible).

Separately, enter the code N 2018 Form 1099-R that you'll be receiving that reports the recharacterization.

Finally, enter the code 2 2018 Form 1099-R that you'll receive that reports the Roth conversion.  Assuming it's the case, indicate that the entire amount was converted to a Roth IRA.

Be sure to click the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page and answer the additional follow-up questions, particularly the one that asks for your December 31, 2018 balance in traditional IRAs.  TurboTax will prepare Form 8606 to calculate the taxable amount of the Roth conversion.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Retirement tax questions

Making a Non-deductible IRA contribution and Converting to Roth IRA

Many people are doing this as a way of getting around the income limit for making a Roth contribution. But this year's contribution cannot be converted in isolation from any existing traditional (including rollover) IRA(s). It's best explained by example. Let's say you have a $95,000 balance in all your existing traditional IRAs and that balance consist of $45,000 in deductible contributions, $10,000 in previous non-deductible contributions and $40,000 in earnings (interest, dividends & capital gains). This year you make a $5000 non-deductible contribution and convert $5000 to a Roth. Only 15% of the $5000 conversion ($750) will be tax free. Your basis, in all your IRAs, is $15,000 (the previous $10,000 of non-deductible contributions plus this year's $5000 contribution). TurboTax will divide that $15,000 basis by the $100,000 balance ($95K+5K) to arrive at the 15% tax free ratio. This is the way the IRS requires it to be done. The calculations will be shown on form 8606.
See: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.bankrate.com/finance/retirement/drawback-one-type-roth-conversion.aspx">http://www.bankra...>
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://thefinancebuff.com/how-to-report-backdoor-roth-in-turbotax.html">http://thefinancebuff.com/ho...>

Retirement tax questions

@dmertz This answer was extremely helpful in filing my 2018 tax return, as OP's situation was identical to mine. I have one additional question. In my state tax return (NJ), Turbotax is asking me to fill out an "IRA Withdrawal" form for the amount written in code 2 2018 Form 1099-R. How should this be handled? I contributed 5500 directly to Roth, recharacterized to tIRA, then converted to Roth, all in FY2018. My code N 1099-R form had $5204 on line 1, and my code 2 1099-R form had $5237 on line 1. Thank you.
dmertz
Level 15

Retirement tax questions

I'm not familiar with the reporting of traditional IRA distributions on NJ tax returns, except that NJ does not allow a deduction for IRA contributions so any IRA distribution reported on a NJ tax return involves a basis calculation.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/tgi-ee/git2.pdf">https://www.state.nj.us/treasury...>

If this was your only money in traditional IRAs in 2018, the fact that the traditional IRA was valued at only $5,237 due to investment losses and therefore the conversion was less than the $5,500 contributed means that the conversion should be nontaxable on both your federal and NJ tax returns (assuming that the resulting $5,500 traditional IRA contribution was reported as nondeductible on your federal tax return).
lei0829
Returning Member

Retirement tax questions

Hi, I did the samething through Fidelity for my 2020 contribution. The Fidelity guy mentioned that when I use turbotax to report my tax, it will automatically taken care of. I just want to check is that true? is there anything additional I need to do or enter anything?

Retirement tax questions

A backdoor Roth IRA allows you to get around income limits by converting a Traditional IRA into a Roth IRA. Contributing directly to a Roth IRA is restricted if your income is beyond certain limits, but there are no income limits for conversions.

Doing a backdoor Roth conversion is a two-step process.

TurboTax Online

TurboTax CD/Download

Retirement tax questions

Hi, I am in a similar situation. I put $6000 to a Roth IRA in 2020, and sold the stocks in Roth IRA in 2021 before recharacterizing to traditional IRA and gained $200 interest without paying any capital gain tax. Then I converted all the money including the interest to traditional IRA then to Roth IRA. 

Do I need to pay capital gain tax for the $200 interest? How to operate in Turbo Tax? 

Retirement tax questions

Interest earned from the Roth - did you receive a statement from the Investment Company for this? I understand that you converted it all, including the interest, but had the interest incurred or was it categorized as earned? That will make the difference. 

Retirement tax questions

I haven't got the statement yet. Will update here when I do.

Sorry, the 200 is the capital gain.  I have $12000 contribution.  When I sold it a few days, I got 12200 back.