DexterS

Retirement tax questions

This is sometimes referred to as a Backdoor Roth.

Backdoor ROTH conversion consists of two parts

1.       The nondeductible contribution
2.       The non-taxable distribution

To record the nondeductible contribution in TurboTax Premier do the following:

• Federal Taxes >> Deductions & Credits >>Scroll Down to >> Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions
  • Select >> Start/Update
  • Traditional IRA and Roth IRA >> Select >> Traditional
  • Did (Name) Contribute To a Traditional IRA  >> Select >> Yes
  • Was This a Repayment of a Retirement Distribution? >> Select >> No
  • Tell Us How Much You Contributed >> Fill In as appropriate >> Select >> Continue
  • Did You Change Your Mine? >> Select >> No
  • Retirement Plan at Work >> Select >> Yes/No
  • Any Excess IRA Contributions Before 2016 >> Select >> Yes/No
  • Any Nondeductible Contributions to (Name) IRA? >> Select >> Yes >> Select >> Continue
  • Let’s Find Your IRA Basis >> Fill In as appropriate >> Select >> Continue
  • Income Too High To Deduct an IRA Contribution >> Select >> Continue
  • Choose Not to Deduct IRA Contributions >> Select >> Yes >> Select >> Continue
  • Your IRA Deduction Summary >> Your IRA Deduction >> $0 >> Select >> Continue

Now we’ll report the Non-taxable distribution into the Roth

• Federal Taxes >> Wages & Income >> Select >> I’ll choose what I work on
  • Scroll Down to >> Retirement Plans and Social Security >> IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R) >> Select >> Start/Update
  • Your 1099-R >> Select >> Yes >> Select >> Continue
  •  Let Us Enter Your 1099-R >> Select >> I’ll type it myself >> Select >> Continue
  • Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have >> Select >> 1099-R >> Select >> Continue
  • Fill In as appropriate >> Select >> Continue
  • Let Us Know a Little More About This Distribution >> Select >> From a traditional IRA
  • Is this IRA subject to an early withdrawal penalty >> Select >> No >> Select >> Continue
  • Did (Name) Inherit This (Name) IRA? >> Select >> No >> Select >> Continue
  • What Did You Do With The Money From Fidelity? >> Select >> (Name) moved the money to another retirement account >>
  • Select >> (Name) converted all of this money to a Roth IRA >> Select >> Continue
  • Move Funds? >> Select >> No (Name) left the money in the Roth IRA >> Select >>Continue

If all this is done correctly and you had NO deductible IRA contributions, on your form 1040, line 15b should be $0 and line 32 should be $0