hanryhu

Is it a typo or not a typo?: Enter Voluntary Contributions -- Note: These contributions will increase your tax due or reduce your refund.

Retirement tax questions

What do you think is wrong with that?  What state?  If you want to add a contribution to one of the funds listed it is added to your tax due or comes out of your refund.
hanryhu

Retirement tax questions

Shouldn't the contributions not affect the tax due?  This sentence is missing the word NOT.
hanryhu

Retirement tax questions

Massachusetts

Retirement tax questions

No.  You are making an extra contribution out of your refund or adding it to your tax due.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

They affect your tax due because they are adding it to your tax due.

Retirement tax questions

Say you have a $500 refund.  You can contribute $20 of it so you will only get back 480.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

If I owe 100 to the state, and elect to donate 25, my tax due will be 125.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Thus  "These contributions will increase your tax due or reduce your refund"
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

So, seriously I hope you have a better understanding and thank you for bringing what you thought could be an error to our attention.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

If this is for the state return, NOT a typo. 

Some states "allow" you to make donations through your tax filing, but they are not deductible contributions on the state return. The state is just being nice enough to take your money and give it to these select few organizations. 

You CAN claim the contribution on next year's Federal return. 

View solution in original post

hanryhu

Retirement tax questions

Sounds like there is a typo then, because the note doesn't have the word NOT.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

As I said, they are not deductible on the state return so YES they WILL increase your tax or lower your refund.