If social security is my only income, must I pay taxes on it. I am a widow, retired, 69 years old.

I have been paying taxes on this amount 18,111.00 yearly since retirement.

Retirement tax questions

Social security is not taxable if that is your only income.  It will be taxable if you have more than a certain amount of other income such as from a job, investments, or a pension.

Do you mean you have been having taxes withheld?  You can change that with the social security administration, and you can file a tax return to get a refund of the withholding.  (You won't be able to e-file unless you have at least a little income from interest or something.)

Or do you mean you have been filing tax returns and declaring the income as taxable?  I'm not sure how you would do that and not have the IRS reject it.  If you have been filing returns, you can file amended returns to get your taxes paid refunded back to you.

Retirement tax questions

I have been having taxes taken out. I recieve nominate other taxable income.

Retirement tax questions

No other, not nominate.

Retirement tax questions

If you only get SS it is not taxable.  So you can tell SS to stop taking taxes out of it.  You need to file a return for each year to get the taxes withheld back.

Retirement tax questions

What do you mean by "nominate"?  Receive nominate? Is the spell checker putting in the wrong word?

Retirement tax questions

Spell check! lol Thanks for your help.

Retirement tax questions

I hope you've been filing a tax return to get any withholding back. After three years, the IRS will not refund it to you.

Retirement tax questions

Yes. I have been getting refunds.

Retirement tax questions

Do you have an IRA or 401k? RMD will be required coming year or next (depending on your birthday) and this could trigger tax on your SS benefits.

Retirement tax questions

Nope, I have only social security. No pension, no IRA no 401k.