New Member

Can I claim my share of real estate tax on my retirement community?

I paid a lump sum entrance fee to my retirement community and now pay monthly rental which includes a portion of the real estate tax for the facility.  The community has provided me a statement of my allotted amount for the PA Property Tax / Rent Rebate program.  Can I treat this as a property tax for federal tax?

Level 1

Retirement tax questions

No. You can only claim the property tax deduction if you are liable for the debt. 

As you are not an owner, you are not liable for the debt.

For more information, follow this link:

View solution in original post