New Member

Retirement tax questions

After I posted this question I contacted the IRS.  Here is their answer:

My transfer is considered an inherited Roth.  Because, in my case, it is due to either a

1) Divorce or

2) Separate Maintenance Decree (such as a PSA, Property and Support Settlement Agreement)

it is considered a tax-free transfer.  It is not a rollover, it is not a conversion, and it is not a recharacterization.  It is also not a contribution.  It is therefore not reported on my tax return.

So I don't need to report it at all on my tax-return and more importantly, there is no tax penalty.

View solution in original post