jamesq
Returning Member

Printed Form 8889 Doesn't Match 8889-T in TurboTax

This is for the desktop (Mac) version of Turbotax Home & Business for tax year 2023. 

• I made an excess HSA contribution of $400 in 2023, which I withdrew in 2024 before the filing deadline to avoid the pentaly.
  • I have not received a 1099-SA for this (I think I'll receive that in early 2025 for tax year 2024), but I reported to TurboTax that I already withdrew the excess contribution during the step-by-step interview.
  • If I view form 8889-T (-T just means for the taxpayer) in TurboTax, it shows $400 on both lines 14a and 14b. It is also included properly as additional income on schedule 1 line 8f.
  • However when I print my taxes to file by mail, both lines 14a and 14b are blank on form 8889. Everything else matches.

Should I fill those in by hand before filing if this is a Turbotax bug, or does anybody know what's happening? Thank you in advance!

This question is related to mine, but I think it's printing differently: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/hsa-excess-contribution/00/3244529