Retirement tax questions

Thank you for considering my situation. My understanding of the difference between code 8 and code 7 is that a code 8 (excess contribution) distribution needs to be matched with a form 5329, which won't tax the principle of my removal because it's a Roth IRA, but it would tax the earnings. For me the 5329 and earnings tax would have been expected to be filed and paid with my 2023 taxes. Since Turbotax refused to let me file a 5329, I went ahead and filed my 2023 taxes without a 5329, which I believe is correct as I actually have no excess contribution. 

In another call to Vanguard they suggested doing an indirect rollover to put every dollar (both "excess contribution" and earnings) back into my Roth IRA. So I did this. They told me this will generate another 1099-R for the indirect rollover with either a code 1 or, more likely, 7.  They stressed that they will still send me the incorrect 1099-DIV with code 8, even though now all of the money is back in the IRA. So now I'm going to get two 1099-DIVs for the same amount of money, one correct, and one incorrect. My question is how do I get the IRS to ignore the incorrect duplicate 1099-DIV? Online searches have only given me answers from the perspective of entities that originate 1099s in the first place, investment firms, etc. 

Thanks for your thoughts!