KevinPM

File 1099-Rs for removal of 2017 excess Roth IRA contributions as part of 2018 taxes or need to amend 2017 return?

Apologies if this has been answered before, but there seems to be a lot of potential variation in people's situation. Here is the situation...

- Contributed to Roth IRAs for myself and spouse in March 2017.

- When preparing my 2017 return last year in February 2018, I realized that I ran afoul of the income limits and needed to resolve the situation.

- To resolve this, I removed the excess - the original contributions plus the calculated earnings for March 2017 - February 2018).

- I filed my 2017 return, following the various TT prompts and reported the contributions that had been made but were also withdrawn before the due date of the tax return (e.g., $5,500 contributed & $5,500 withdrawn each for me & spouse).

- Note: The removal of excess was not converted or recharacterized, it was just put into a brokerage (non-taxable) account.

- In February 2019, I received the 2018 1099-Rs for these "distribution" events which document the gross distribution, the taxable portion, and that $0 income tax was withheld (all correct). The distribution codes shown are: PJ.

When preparing my 2018 return, I entered the 1099-R information and TT informed me that I am supposed to amend my 2017 return. However, it also seemed to increased my tax bill for 2018. I am confused if I am supposed to handle this in my 2018 return or if I have to amend my 2017 return...

So, basically, I over contributed to Roths in 2017, then removed the money plus earnings in 2018 and haven't yet paid taxes on those earnings. I am not sure what I need to do to resolve the situation. Anyone know the procedure for this?