Retirement tax questions

Critter - yes, we can still make nondeductible contributions as in most previous years, but thats not my question.

My question is related to a "rollout" of funds from my TIRA, divided between my employers 401K which allows "roll ins" from a TIRA, with the remaining after-tax contributions rolled into a Roth IRA (thus separating the pre from the post tax contributions in the TIRA, making it easier to account for down the road and no longer having to keep track of a "comingled" TIRA). Its a move not done by many, but perfectly acceptable if you have a comingled funds in an TIRA and want to separate them (and an employer plan that accepts the pretax rollout).

However, the confusing aspect of doing this (this will likely be my only time doing it) is that the 1099-R shows the after tax amount sent to the Roth as taxable, even though it isn't (Vanguard confirms this is how its reported since all move such as this are treated as taxable. So you have to make sure you report it correctly so you aren't double taxed on it.