Retirement tax questions

@hola9393 wrote:

Thanks again. Still, I have not been able to clarify my question. Let me illustrate with couple of examples:

Example 1: I am 50 years old today, I will open a Roth IRA next month and simultaneously fund the account with a roll-over from my Roth 401k to my Roth IRA. Those would be the only funds I will deposit in the Roth IRA ever.

Question 1: based on this example, at age 60, would a distribution from this Roth IRA account be considered a "qualified distribution" (i.e. would have no penalties and/or taxes on such distribution)?

Example 2: take example 1 mentioned above, and let's assume that I do another roll-over from my Roth 401k to my Roth IRA at age 58.

Question 2: again at age 60, would a distribution of the total balance of the Roth IRA account (which would include (1) the initial roll-over mentioned in example 1, and (2) the roll-over mentioned in example 2 at age 58) considered a "qualified distribution"?

Note couple of things:

1) Assume distributions in both examples would include everything (funds originally contributed, earnings associated to such funds, etc)

2) Contribution referred to in "Example 1" is a roll-over and not a "regular" contribution.

Appreciate any information you can share!

Example #1 - The funds would have been on the Roth for more than 5 Years so they would be qualified.   No tax or penalties whatsoever for any distribution.

Example #2 - Again no tax or penalty since the 5 year rule had already been met.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**