Retirement tax questions

However, I would not be surprised if you receive a bill form the IRS in about a year for the tax, since the 1099-R that they now have will not match what ia on your amended return.   The substitute 1099-R has an explanation statement that explains it but simply using a regular 1099-R does not.   IRS computers do the matching and generate the letters in most cases, humans do not review them.   I always thing it better to file the substitute with the letter.

I always advise to NOT file a "dummy" 1099-R prepared correctly with the original (2020) tax return before receiving the actual 1099-R in order to avoid having to amend later unless you *KNOW* that the IRA custodian will issue a 1099-R with code JP, box 1 with the total returned amount and box 2a is only the earnings and the trustee tells you in advance exactally what will be on the 1099-R.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**