Destiny_Y_JD
Employee Tax Expert

Retirement tax questions

I am going to assume that you are unable to deduct Roth IRA due to income limit (usual reason). Let me know if I am wrong. 
I will start off by saying that for the 2020 & 2021 tax years (filed in 2021/22), the combined annual contribution limit for Roth and traditional IRAs is $6,000 ($7,000 if you're age 50 or older). That is unchanged from 2019.
There are still ways around the Roth IRA contribution limits. If you make a contribution to a nondeductible IRA, you can convert it to a Roth IRA. The same applies to nondeductible contributions made to a 401(k) plan.
A backdoor Roth IRA allows you to get around income limits by converting a Traditional IRA into a Roth IRA. Contributing directly to a Roth IRA is restricted if your income is beyond certain limits, but there are no income limits for conversions. 
This move is called either a conversion or "Backdoor roth". Instructions on how to do this at https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-enter-a-backdoor-roth-ira-convers...
However, one of our tax experts could also help you in this process. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"