uk05
Level 3

Retirement tax questions

@macuser_22 

I only mentioned the quote from publication 590-A b/c you had mentioned it as supporting documentation for what I interpreted as both my 2019 & 2020 contributions in the orig post, but you're saying said publication is for a "timely" return only so that only applies my 2020 contribution only, which I understand.

Moving forward, the question I last posed, which still stands, is do I need to contact my brokerage firm & ask that they update the 1099-R they will send me AND the IRS in 2022? Or does the 1099-R not matter as long as I explain why I’m reporting my 1099-R a different way in the interview section?

As noted in the original post, the brokerage firm will report both the 2020 & 2019 contribution earnings as “timely”. As their retirement rep said, they think 2019 is also timely b/c the contribution was made in the 2020 calendar year (which you’ve already mentioned is incorrect and explained why) and I completed the excess contribution form before the 2020 tax deadline for it. They then provided the box 1, 2a & 7 details which I also listed in the original post. 

Thanks for your help on this one.