DJG
Level 3

Retirement tax questions

I just sent Intuit's CEO the following email.  I think everyone should bombard his inbox until we get a satisfactory response:  sasan_goodarzi at intuit.com

Dear Mr. Goodarzi,

I am writing to call your attention to a major problem with this year's edition of TurboTax, which is causing tremendous frustration and anger among many users.  For weeks, we have been receiving unsatisfactory and often contradictory responses from members of your customer service team--both by phone and on the community message boards--and we still do not have a clear answer as to whether the engineering team is working on a fix for this tax season or when it will be ready.  

Briefly, the problem is that on Form 8949, this year's software is for some inexplicable reason rounding the cost basis and proceeds for each transaction BEFORE adding them up, rather than just rounding the final totals as per IRS instructions (and as your software did correctly in all previous years).  This is causing TurboTax to calculate a capital gains figure that does not tie to our 1099-Bs -- for those of us with hundreds or even thousands of 1099-B transactions, TurboTax's number can be off by hundreds of dollars!  This level of imprecision is unacceptable, and frankly it defies logic and common sense.  

For more details, you may wish to refer to some of the many threads about this topic on the community message boards, e.g. this onethis one or this one

After so many incorrect, contradictory, and even downright insulting responses from your customer service team, we would appreciate having someone with knowledge and authority get back to us to let us know definitively if TurboTax recognizes the problem, if the software engineers intend to fix the problem for this tax season, and when we can expect that fix.  Without such a fix, TurboTax software is essentially useless to us.  

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,