jrlrph

Retirement tax questions

I took a RMD in late March of 2020.  I returned the full amount the first of April.  I then rolled over to a ROTH account a much larger amount.  I received a1099-R from Fidelity for the total amount of both transactions.  Turbo-Tax had a screen which allowed me to enter both of these transactions exactly as I did.  It identified the exact amount I rolled back to the original IRA account and the exact amount that I transferred to the ROTH account.  It looked GREAT!  The next screen had the following statement, "Select CONTINUE and we'll delete the entry you've started and take you back to enter two separate1099-Rs, one for the rollover and one for the conversion.  Why ask me the great questions on the previous page if you are going to delete the information I just entered, and create two new 1099-R's that will no longer agree with what Fidelity is sending them.  The IRS receiving different information from me and Fidelity is what has led to me being audited in the past.  Addendum:  I decided to not hit the "continue" button and then go to my 1040 and see what the program did.  It worked perfectly;  I had a QCD in my account and the rollover in my wife's account.  It created a statement sheet and printed the letters "STMT" next to line 4A and printed a document that perfectly identified the rollover amount and the QCD amount.