Retirement tax questions

Thanks for your reply but although the original 1099R has a Code 7 entered into Box 7 and IRA/SEP/SIMPLE Box checked. Using this information  does not transfer the proper numbers to the 1040 whether I try it with one or two 1099Rs. I don't believe Code 7 is proper for the withdrawal part of the lump sum reported in this case. At least it doesn't work, only Code G works.

If I split into two 1099Rs and use 7 for the code of the IRA to Roth conversion and G for the code of the RMD withdrawal and restoration it results in 1040 4a becoming the total of the withdrawal and conversion with ROLLOVER printed below it and the correct taxable amount of the conversion entered in 4b. This results in the proper income being reported in 1040 line 9.

The form 4852 seems to be a place to explain why you had to split the 1099Rs into two. Before I did any of this I contacted my broker's tax department and they insisted they were required by IRS rules to issue only one 1099R.

I don't see why you are saying I shouldn't file substitute 1099Rs now when earlier replies from you and others indicated I should.