BradT

Retirement Rollover

I rolled over 3 retirement accounts into 1 place.  Turbotax initially calculated tax correctly when I entered the first rollover, but after adding the 2nd and 3rd accounts it changed the tax to my first entry.  Here is what happened and my entries:

1. Roth IRA Code J.  Amount 2900.  I did an indirect rollover.  I pocketed 1900, and opened an account and put the remaining 1000 into the new Roth IRA.  I indicated that I did contribute the 1000 to a new account in the software.  TurboTax calculated the early withdrawal penalty of 190 correctly.

2.  I rolled a Roth 401k into a the same Roth IRA.  This was a direct rollover with box 7 code H.  As soon as I enter this 1099R, it removes the penalty from entry 1.  On preview the 1040 the IRA is coded 100% as rollover.

3.  I rolled a Traditional 401k into a Traditional IRA.  This was a direct rollover with box 7 code G.  

I need to know what change is needed to ensure that the 10% penalty on the 1900 I pocketed gets re-calculated back into the return.