Investors & landlords

@rubylove wrote:

Thank you! I did purchase and truly flip another property under my llc. Do I need a schedule c with my personal taxes to report the income and deductions? It was a one off, but in name of LLC, does that mean will be taxed as a business? Please note I also flipped one house the year before, but under my personal name. Am I considered "a flipper?" I haven't filed taxes for that year yet and need to find an accountant, but truly has a loss. 

If you are an "ongoing trade or business" then you report on schedule C.  If this is a hobby, you report on schedule D (capital gains).

Here is a quick summary of the differences

Ongoing trade or business Hobby
Net profit is subject to income tax and self-employment tax Capital gains from the sale are subject to capital gains tax
You can deduct carrying expenses (insurance, utilities) You can't deduct carrying expenses
Property tax is a business expense Property tax is a schedule A itemized deduction subject to the $10,000 SALT cap
Mortgage interest is a business expense You can deduct mortgage interest as a schedule A itemized deduction on your main home (where you live) and one second home, up to an aggregate limit of $750,000 principal balance on all your mortgages
Business income and expense is reported on schedule C Many expenses are ignored. The cost of capital improvements is added to your cost basis, and your capital gain is calculated on schedule D.

Your taxes are potentially higher as a business because of self-employment tax, but more of your expenses are deductible, and the SE tax gives you additional credits in the social security system.

If you classify a hobby as a business (becase you get more deductions) or if you classify a business as a hobby (to avoid self-employment tax) and then get audited, the IRS can reverse either decision.  For a business they want to see evidence of "ongoing" business activity.  

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/heres-how-to-tell-the-difference-between-a-hobby-and-a-business-for-tax...

You are a flipper if you act like one.