pk
Level 15
Level 15

Investors & landlords

@Sam123 , please pardon me for explaining something first and perhaps then  answer to your question would be self-evident:

1. Tax on rental/ income property  is reported on Schedule-E and if you look at that form you will see that your gross rental income ( even if zero ) is offset by allowable expenses and allowable depreciation.  Thus in your particular case , the net taxable income  from  this  would be negative.  This  negative income  is limited by Passive Activity Loss Limitation (PAL) rule --- generally up to $25,000 per year   ( depends on  your filing status, your other passive incomes/losses and your Modified AGI )  If you enter the details into TurboTax, it will compute this for you.  Un-allowed losses  ( i.e. beyond  the  PAL ) is suspended losses  that is used up in future years  or at the  time of sale of the property.

2.  The accumulated depreciation   is used to reduce your basis  ( acquisition cost plus cost of allowable improvements  ) and thus increase  your gain at the time of sale.  So while depreciation helps  during operational life, it hinders  by raising gain at disposal.

3. On sale , that portion of the  gain that is caused by  accumulated depreciation is taxed as ordinary income , the rest is  eligible for capital  rate taxation.  Thus if you had  500,000 gain and $20,000 was due to  accumulated depreciation, then  the first 20,000 would be taxed  at  your marginal rate ( depreciation recapture ) , the rest i.e. 480,000,  would be eligible for capital gain treatment at your capital gain rate.

4. In the example above, only the amount after depreciation recapture ( 480,000 ) would be eligible for exclusion from taxation if and only if you meet  the  2 + 2 rule  ---  for a joint filer  one of you must have owned  the property for  a least  2 years  and each  of you must have used this property as you main residence for at least 730 days  total with a look back of five years from the date of sale of the property .  Another rule  is that  you must not have taken this exclusion in the last two years.

So does this help ?