therailsguy
Returning Member

Investors & landlords

You have to ask the broker that question. I have no way of knowing what the broker will put on your 1099-B.

I asked my broker about this, but got an answer that they could not help on this, and instead asked me to consult with a tax planner.

I can't confirm the net amount. I don't know how you arrived at $25,000. The last line of the VVOS-Sell-Wash document shows a short-term capital loss of $3,377.96. Are you looking at the 25,036 in the Quantity column? That's the number of shares, not dollars.

The capital loss of $3,377.96 includes all trades, but does not account the loss from wash sale, right? In the 2nd document I have linked that only has the wash sale listed, the total capital loss is -$21,255.05 for VVOS.

When I said $25,000 in net capital gain, I meant it from my whole portfolio, not just VVOS trades.

Also, I consulted with a CPA, and he told me that since all my VVOS sales are considered wash sale, I have to purchase an equal amount of shares that were washed, wait for 30 days, and then sell them. Only after that, the capital loss will be accounted for. Does that make sense?

Again, thank you for the response.