Carl
Level 15

Investors & landlords

I also did not have it on Sch E for 2018 and 2019, since I stopped renting the basement as of 2018.

So I assume you converted the property from rental to personal use on the 2017 return, which is fine.

My carry over losses from as well as the portion un-allowed up until 2017 are shown on form 8582 worksheet, not Sch E. Sch E only shows the amount allowed to be deducted for 2017.

Correct. I assumed you already knew the 8582 is part of the SCH E used specifically and explicitly for carry over losses on rental property.

When I clicked through to the last page where it asked, "Was This Property Rented for All of 2020?" I had to select "I did not rent, nor attempt to rent, this property at all in 2020"

That's the problem. Since the property was not a rental in 2020, there's nothing to report on SCH E concerning this property 'at all".  Assuming you do not own any other rental property, you need to completely delete the SCH E. Simply work through the Rental & Royalty Income section again, and when you come to the rental summary screen, delete the property and then *YOU MUST* finish working through the section in order for your deletion of the property to "stick".

You'll report the sale in the "Sale of Home (Gain or Loss) section, and (I can't reiterate this enough) read the small print, read all of the small print, and read all that small print on every single screen *before* you enter any data or make any selections. I see folks mess this up quite frequently, because they do not read the small print.

Now there is one thing that does need clarification. If you click the "Adjusted Cost Basis" link for more information, one of the things listed there that can adjust your cost basis, is the depreciation. You will adjust your cost basis by all the items listed *EXCEPT* for depreciation you took for a home office or for renting out a part of your primary residence while it was your primary residence. You'll be asked on a later screen if you have any depreciation taken after May 6, 1997. You'll answer that question YES.