Investors & landlords

@davidtoby :  I am not a tax expert so please take this with a grain of salt.

My understanding of your example is as follows:  The main entity issued a K-1 showing -$5,000 in Box 2.  The pass-through entity is showing -$5,000 rental income in the 199A section of the K-1..

So in Turbotax, you create a first K-1 with the name, EIN, etc. of the main entity.  For rental income you would put $0.

Then you create a second K-1 with the name, EIN, etc. of the main entity again (even though this will ultimately be the passthrough entity K-1).  Leave Part 2 boxes J, K, L, etc. blank since you've already done this for the main entity.  Then for rental income you put in $-5,000 and select the radio button a few screens later that indicates that the business that generated the Section 199-A income is a separate business owned by the partnership.  This is where you will be asked for the name and EIN of the pass through entity. 

It is confusing, because in your K-1 overview screen you'll have two identically named entities, but one is the main entity and one is the main entity with the ties to the pass through. I used lowercase letters to name my main entity and capital letters to name my main entity/pass through so that I could keep them straight!  

Again, I am not an expert but this is what I have surmised from several sources on this forum, the Turbotax FAQ, and an informal consult with a CPA friend.

Hope this helps.