ultimax
Returning Member

Captail gains losses and Wash Sale Rule questions

So here are a couple of questions related to capital gains losses for the sake of tax deductions. Also some questions in regards to wash sale rules. Thanks for the help in clarifying some of this for me.

Question 1a:

Say I bought 100 shares of stock A. I then sold all of it the next day at a loss. I can then deduct the loss as capital gains losses (up to annual limit)?  Is this correct that if I sold all of it, how long I held it for doesn't matter in regards to capital gain losses?

1b. Same situation as 1a (100 shares of stock A). If I sell half of stock A (50 shares, then hold on to the other half). Then I sell the rest of it a few days later. Both sales are for losses and happen before 30 days have passed after buying A. Is it correct that both sales can be declared as capital gains losses or does one of them trigger wash sale rules?

Question 2:

Say I buy 100 shares of stock A on day 1. On day 4, I bought an additional 200 shares of the same stock.

2a. If on day 7, I sell all 300 shares at a loss, can I deduct the entire loss as capital gains or would any of it trigger wash sale rules and be disallowed?

2b. If wash sale rules are being triggered for 2a, would waiting till day 35 to sell all of it at a loss lead to regular captial loss deductions and not be counted as wash sale disallowed?

2c. If I sold a portion of the 300 shares before day 35, i assume it counts as a wash sale?

2d. If after day 35, I sold part of the 300 shares, does that count as a wash sale?