Carl
Level 15

Investors & landlords

. I did not take depreciation for the prior 3.5 years. I can only amend 2014 forward,

I'm looking at the date of your post and you started this thread June 1, 2019. You can not use TurboTax to amend a 2015 return or earlier, because TurboTax only supports their software for the current tax filing year and three years back. Additionally, because you're talking more than 5 years of not taking depreciation, amending isn't the correct way to fix this. To fix it, you'll need to file IRS Form 3115 - Change in Accounting Mathod.

Now while the TTX program does include the form 3115, understand this form is not simple by any stretch. So if you yourself are not a tax professional of some type, I would highly recommend you seek professional help on this. Attempting the 3115 yourself to make things right, can come back to bite you later making things even more costly the what you would pay a tax pro to do it right the first time.

But I'll continue anyway.

so therefore cannot correct the first 6 months the home was a rental.

When TT asks to "Confirm Prior Depreciation", do I accept their numbers or put in "0" for my first amendment

If you know for a fact that you did not take depreciation for the last 6 months of the prior tax year, enter ZERO.

and accept their numbers for the other 2 years?

You can't blindly accept the numbers for the other two years. That's because when you amend a tax return, it is physically impossible for TurboTax to import data from the prior year's return, weather that prior year's return was amended or not.

What you must do is "CONFIRM" the prior year's depreciation number is correct. If it is, then you're good to go. If it's not, then you will need to manually change it and make it correct.