Investors & landlords

I think these responses that suggest the expenses can be deducted are incorrect.

I was including these expenses in misc itemized deductions, but this is what Pub 529 says: "...you can no longer claim any miscellaneous itemized deductions, unless you fall into one of the qualified categories of employment claiming a deduction relating to unreimbursed employee expenses. Miscellaneous itemized deductions are those deductions that would have been subject to the 2% of adjusted gross income limitation. You can still claim certain expenses as itemized deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040, 1040-SR, or 1040-NR) or as an adjustment to income on Form 1040 or 1040-SR." 

If you check Sch A itemized deductions and 1040 adjustments to income, those are very specific.  Even line 16, Other Itemized Deductions, can include only what is listed in the instructions.  Per the instructions, "Only the expenses listed next can be deducted on line 16."  I don't find any mention of expenses related to real property rented below FMV.

But you are required to report the income, although there is NO profit.  How is that fair?