Investors & landlords

Remember my first post to you where I said :

"If you're using the RSU guided interview to report the sales then I'd say "delete those trades", to start.  There's no "Income Tax Return Reporting Requirement" that says you must use those interviews.  Nothing in your income tax return gives the IRS any clue as to how you acquired any security that you sold. "

I can tell that you are using the RSU guided interview because only the guided interviews for employer stock sales makes reference to the Employer Stock Transaction Worksheet.  The normal, "regular stock" sale interview - the one that starts with a 1099-B waiting for you to fill in the boxes - doesn't put anything on the Employer Stock Transaction Worksheet, it just fills out Form 8949.

So, delete the trade and enter it using the regular 1099-B interview, incorrect basis and all.  In the desktop version you'd then click the blue "I'll enter additional info on my own" button and on the next page enter the correct basis, (# of shares sold x per share fair market value used by employer), in the "Corrected cost basis" box. 

The columns for line 25, dealing with RSUs are:

1. (b) Number of Shares
  2. (c) Date Vested
  3. (d) Market Price Per Share
  4. (e) Price Paid Per Share if Any
  5. (f) Fees Paid if Any
  6. (g) Number of Shares Withheld if Any

So if you want to stick with the guided interview that should tell you what TurboTax is asking for.