Investors & landlords

"I am trying to enter in my RSUs and the ones sold to cover the taxes."

That statement in ambiguous.  You don't, literally, "enter"RSUs". 

When the RSUs vest you get X amount of stock.  "X" is the GROSS amount of stock in the award.  If shares are withheld or sold "for taxes", that doesn't affect "X."The employer calculates compensation in the amount of

("X" times "per share fair market value at vesting date")

and includes that in your W-2. That "per share fair market value at vesting date" is also your per share basis.

If shares are withheld or sold "for taxes" then the taxes withheld are scattered around the various taxes boxes of your W-2.  So the vesting of the RSUs and all the associated taxes are simply part of your recording of your W-2.

Now, if you sold some of the shares "for cash" or some of the shares were sold "for taxes" and the broker sent you 1099-B(s) for these sales, (brokers don't have to send 1099-Bs for "same day" sales), then you need to report the sales of the stock.  Presumably you got a 1099-B for the shares sold "for taxes", and maybe you also sold some of the shares "for cash."  Perhaps this latter event is what you are referring to by "I am trying to enter in my RSUs..."

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong here, but you might be trying to use the "RSUs guided interview" to report the sale(s) and that could be the crux of the problem.  If you're using the RSU guided interview to report the sales then I'd say "delete those trades", to start.  There's no "Income Tax Return Reporting Requirement" that says you must use those interviews.  Nothing in your income tax return gives the IRS any clue as to how you acquired any security that you sold. 

It's entirely correct to report these sales using the "normal" 1099-B interview.  You simply enter the 1099-B(s) exactly as they read - wrong basis and all - and then use the mechanisms available in TurboTax, (apparently the online version and desktop versions are different here, though I'm not sure), to correct the basis, which in both cases: (number of shares sold x "per share fair market value at vesting date").  That will properly report the gain or loss on the trade(s) and put the correct information on Form 8949.

View solution in original post