Do I have to list inherited foreign royalty payments (my fathers intellectual property from music) on my tax return? The yearly amount is usually between $200 - $400.

The royalty payments are from Germany and I was under the impression that the German intellectual property agency (GEMA) automatically deducts the taxes but my brother told me that that's not the case. I filed form 6166 and had my tax documents sent directly to the agency for certification of my US tax residency. Thank you for your help!

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Investors & landlords

Yes, as a US citizen or resident, you have to report your worldwide income.

So your foreign royalty payments have toi be reported as income. If you have paid any foreign tax on them, you can claim the tax credit on form 1116.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Carl
Level 15

Investors & landlords

Just a bit of clarification for others here, as I can see how it can be confusing and unclear to someone that doesn't undertsand inheritance.

Inherited foreign royalty payments.

The payments themselves are not inherited. It's the 'rights" to the payments that were inherited. But the payments to the one who has those rights are reportable on their tax return.

Investors & landlords

Thank you so much. I really appreciate all of your help! It makes sense that the "rights" are inherited and that the payments are therefore foreign income instead of an inheritance.