Carl
Level 15

Investors & landlords

Personal use days are more than 10% of rented days for a rental property.

Lets get some clarification here, because you may be wrong.  Personal use days are the number of days you lived in the property as your primary residence, 2nd home, vacation home or any other "personal pleasure" use *AFTER* the property was converted to a rental. What you did with the property before it was a rental *does* *Not* *count* for anything.

- I lived in the property for a week while I was preparing it for the next renter.

That's not personal pleasure use of any kind. It does not count as personal use days.

- My family and I lived in the property for a week so they could enjoy the beach/lake while I was preparing it for the next renter.

That is personal use, and every day counts as a personal use day including the day you arrived and the day you departed.

Will TT automatically carry over the correct amount next year?

If you have any to carry over, then yes. It's on IRS Form 8582 as a part of  your tax return. If you have no carry overs, then that form will not be generated by the program. (this is not common, unless you are a real estate professional.)