a_l_tax

Investors & landlords

Hi,

Similar situation for me too, but I didn't sell my stock.

Does your answer to this person's question allow me to have the free version of TurboTax fill in all the information I need to that complies with the IRS's policy?

I remember back when I was filing my taxes with TurboTax (last month March 2020) that it was difficult and confusing figuring out what information that needed to go on the 1099-MISC portion, and that it said that in order to file them correctly that I would have to buy the Premier service.

This didn't sit well with me, since TurboTax always claims to be a free and easy service. I don't like how TurboTax tries to get me to buy the "Premier" product, especially since I'm just starting to figure out my personal finances. I'm probably their target demographic.

I'd get more out of Premier services in the future, since the only real finances I'm managing are my income and stock investments. I feel like I was scammed out of $99 because TurboTax Free wouldn't allow me to continue filling out stuff otherwise. And what makes me more upset is that I didn't even sell the free stock I was given--I just have it sitting there. It looks an awful lot like Robinhood has partnered with TurboTax just to increase sales on their paid services. Scummy move.

On top of that, it didn't even check the box that says I can be claimed as a dependent on my tax return, meaning that I reported incomplete information that whoever claims me as a dependent now has to deal with.