Investors & landlords

@ThomasM125 thanks for the suggestion about entering the corrected cost basis on 1099B:

corrected cost basis = cost basis from 1099B + gain subject to recapture as ordinary income from K-1

That results in the negative adjustment in Column G of Form 8949, as suggested in instructions on K-1 for Column 7 (gain subject to recapture as ordinary income):

Column 7: The instructions to Form 8949 are unclear in the determination of capital gain where total gain on the sale of units is partially ordinary gain. Reporting this amount as a negative adjustment in Column G of Form 8949 should generally result in the correct capital gain or loss.

What I'm unclear is, I still have two 8949 forms:

1. 8949 generated based on the 1099B from my broker. This is where the corrected cost basis has been applied.
  2. 8949 generated based on the K-1 sale interview.

Some people suggest that the 1099B sale information from the broker should be deleted. That deletes the first 8949 form.

Could you clarify what is the right approach?

1. Enter the corrected cost basis on 1099B from the broker as negative ordinary income. Keep two 8949.
  2. Remove the sale from 1099B from the broker. Keep 8949 from the sale on K-1.

The two approaches result in different tax refund.

Appreciate your help!