Investors & landlords

@Critter 

No, money spent / work done and sale of property were different tax years, so I'll have to depreciate all 4 major improvements.

Do you agree with the line of thinking (@Carl) whereby I can claim "0%" business use (TT allows a minimum of 1.00%)  for 2018 (described above)? 

The effects of that are 1) obviously, the improvements are added to the form 4562    2) the total depreciable basis is only 1% of the repairs' total cost.  How does that set me up for 2019 taxes when I show the sale of the property?  Will I recoup the other 99% of the cost of the siding as an increase in my basis when the sale of the property fleshes out?  (They do tally under Cost (net of land) on form 4562.)

My ignorance of depreciation, recapture, depleted assets, etc. and their end affect on basis for capital gains is limited, evident, and frustrating....  Luckily, this was an off year for our other income, so not having higher numbers in Current Depreciation are not affecting my overall bottom (tax) line much.

Ok, your reply (@carl) hit a second before I posted above so I'll edit it...   Tree work was 2700, so I tried the Land Improvement treatment, and it ended up on a 15 yr schedule.  Oh well.

A little box pops up in TT if you try to enter anything less than 1.00% business use.  It won't allow you to continue.  Oh well.

Unfortunately, I can't see the entire thread while editing, but thank you for that explanation of how the carryover will occur.