Level 1

Investors & landlords

Because the house was in Oregon, you will have to pay tax to Oregon on the gain.  The gain is also taxable in Montana since that's your state of residence; however, you will receive a credit on your Montana tax return for the tax paid in Oregon. If the tax on gain in Oregon is more than Montana, you will only receive a credit for the amount of the Montana tax.

View solution in original post