PhilBax

How do I calculate cost basis for noncovered RSU?

I had some RSU stocks that I sold last year. The 1099-B provides no cost basis.

Looking back at my transaction history in Computershare, I found the entry for the sale. Under "Cost Basis and Tax Information", it breaks the sale down into two chunks:

- 5 shares that had vested in 2013, and were "spun off" into my current account when my company split. These shares have a valid cost basis: [5 shares] x [FMV of the stock when they were "spun off" into my current account].

- 68 shares that vested over 2014 and 2015. No cost basis is provided for these shares. The documentation for each of the share "deposits" gives no cost basis or market value of the stock when they vested.

My question is two-fold:

First, do I need to calculate the cost basis? In my online searching, I've come across some sites that suggest the RSU vesting should be included as income in my W2. I haven't found anything like that on my W2, but I may just not be looking at the right place.

Second, if I *do* need to calculate cost basis, how do I do it? Do I need to manually go back and find the FMV of the stock at each vesting date (and if so, opening or closing value?) and multiply by the number of shares awarded? Then do I simply add up all of the amounts to get my final cost-basis?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!