pk
Level 15
Level 15

Investors & landlords

@pankaj4friends , I am not sure that I understand the situation fully and perhaps need some explanation from you.  What I get is that

(a) your employer in India granted RSUs to you  in 2020, while you were employed in India

(b) in 2022 you moved to UJS via an internal company transfer ( H1-B / L-1  or ? ), thus becoming a  US resident for tax purposes in 2023

(c) your RSUs vested  sometime in 2023

(d) your employer ( US) recognized vesting by including the FMV of the vested ( / granted ? ) RSUs in your W-2.

(e) here is my confusion --- thought that at the time of granting RSUs, your employer recognizes this by including as earned income at FMV and grantee recognizes the mark-to-market by including the gains per year and paying taxes thereon OR waits till vesting and recognize the whole gain ( three years ) and payingn the taxes on this.   So how / why did your employer include the  yearly / total gain in W-2?   And if the total gain was being recognized by  your US employer ( US arm of the Indian entity), how does India IT dept get involved -- and if indeed India was due taxes because part of the gain  occurred while you were in India  ( assume  1/3rd of the total three year gain ? ) why are the amounts  that you show become equal?   What are "other" wage income --  etc. etc.

Please can you correct/ explain the situation and/or my understanding ?

I will circle back  once I hear from you 

pk