Investors & landlords

Okay, yes, it did ask for both purchase date and date of service.  

And thank you for referring me to the property tax statement -- the land value/assessment was on it.  

But I think that perhaps I messed up when I set up the original property back in 2006.  I see that I have zero for the land value and only entered the cost of the duplex property.  Do you uthink I should bother trying to fix that, or let it go at this point and hope for the best?

Getting back to your original response--so when it asks me for the amount I paid for it (the Basis) for the "new unit" (floor 2) that was our personal use, are you saying that I should enter 1/2 the value I paid for the duplex and 1/2 the land assessment value?  And do the same for the "old unit"?  Right now both units are lumped under one property in TurboTax.

For the "old unit" (floor 1) I have several improvements that are being depreciated that were common to both sides, such as new basement block windows, new porches, driveway paving, attic renovation as well as one improvement specific to old unit (kitchen remodel).

What should I do with all these depreciations?  Do I duplicate the common items for both untis and just enter 1/2 the value for each unit?

And thank you for all your help with my questions.  This is like trying to unravel a tangled ball of string!