Hal_Al
Level 15

Education

@audsnends 

Scholarships should not be reported on a 1099-Misc. TurboTax aggressively steers you to self employment, because so many 1099-misc are really that.  

1099-Misc income (I assume the $ are box 3) is  usually  reported on line 8 of Schedule 1, as "other income".  It is treated as unearned income. 

Enter at the 1099-Miscmscreen

On the next screen Describe what the payment was for

On the next screen select "none of these apply"

On the next screen select "No it didn't involve work like my main job"

On the next screen select "I got it in 2020" ONLY

On the next screen select No, it didn't involve intent to earn money

TT will put the amount on line 8  of Schedule 1 as other income

If you can be claimed as somebody's dependent; you (and the IRS) want scholarship income reported on line 1 of form 1040  (with the notation SCH) so it will be treated as earned income for the purposes of calculating the dependent's standard deduction (earned income + $350, but not more than $12,400).

To get it there, In TurboTax (TT), enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab (Personal for H&B version)

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

--Education

--Education Expenses

After telling it you don't have a 1098-T, answer that you qualify for an exception. That will get you to a screen to enter scholarships not shown on a 1098-T. 

This next step is optional (and in addition to the above).  There's a small chance the IRS  computers will not match the 1099-misc to the Scholarship income.  If you want to try to ward that off do this:

Enter the 1099-Misc income as  described above, Reporting  the income as misc line 8, Schedule 1 income (enter in TurboTax at the 1099-Misc screen) .  Then enter a line 8 deduction, for the same amount.  In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab
 - Wages & Income
Scroll down to:
-Less Common Income
      -Misc Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
       - On the next screen, choose – Other reportable income -  Answer yes to Any other Taxable Income -On the next screen, Enter the number with a minus sign (-) in front.  Briefly explain at description (1099-misc reported as SCH on line1)