I am a college student and my parent will claim me as a dependent. I paid for my housing for the year. Should I select the standard deduction?

Education

You do not have to select it.  The software will default to standard deduction.  Since you are claimed as a dependent, you do not need to enter that you paid for your housing.  It will have no effect on your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

Education

Student housing, and other education costs are not  itemized deductions,  so they have nothing to do with the standard deduction vs. itemized deductions.

Student housing  costs are not qualified expenses for claiming either  an education credit or the Tuition and Fees deduction (technically an adjustment to income, not a deduction).

There is one situation where you might enter student housing costs: you (not your parents) received a 1099-Q for a 529/ESA plan distribution  and need to calculate the taxable portion.