Florida Prepaid and Bright Futures: excludes AOTC and forces Scholarship into taxable?

My son is in his first semester at UF; we have Florida Pre-paid (Tuition only) and he got the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship. The University applied pre-paid first to his Tuition, then Bright Futures covered any remaining fees and his entire dorm contract.  We are paying food as we go and plan to withdraw from a 529 for food up to the school's COA estimate.

It appears that a Florida Pre-paid plan / Bright Futures combination excludes the possibility of getting AOTC, since those two combined covered all Tuition and Fees.   (this is quite disappointing to me as it appears that I would have been better off just to pay tuition out of pocket and get the AOTC, but now I am stuck with a plan. The earnings on the pre-paid are quite minimal.)

Additionally, because the school applies the pre-paid to tuition first, part of the Bright Future scholarship ends up covering dorm; which I understand makes the scholarship taxable (or at least a majority of it taxable).  My son hasn't yet filed a federal return - and only had minimal tutoring income last year - should he file and claim the scholarship? and can he do so if I still list him as a dependent?  

The Pre-paid plan seems to be a double-whammy of negatives - I miss out on AOTC and it pushes scholarship into taxable space.  Am I seeing that correctly?  Anything I can do mitigate that situation?