Hal_Al
Level 15

Education

-"I did not take the American Opportunity Tax Credit on my return, because all of our payments were from a 529 (and that would be double dipping)"

--You can claim the AOTC. You avoid double dipping by paying some tax (on the student's return if he was the recipient) on the 529   

-"I am putting a zero amount in the box on my son's form, and it continues to say that he does not qualify for the AOTC."

--Student-dependents (almost) never qualify fo AOTC. 

-"When I look at the forms, it is listing his scholarship amount under line 1, earned income, instead of line 7"

--That is correct. It goes on line 1 (of form 1040) with the notation SCH.  It is not earned income but is treated as earnd income for purposes of the deendent's standard deduction calculation.

-"Should I change what I am inputting on the 1098 and just list the taxable portion of the scholarship.  Is that correct?

-- Yes, if you're not getting the correct answer following the interview. Leave box 1, at the 1098-T screen blank and put the taxable amount in box 5.  Do not enter any expenses (unless you're also entering a 1099-Q)