Re: Room & Board Expenses -- where to enter
Level 15


it is confusing


  • 1099Q goes on the return of the social security number that is on the form.  If the administrator sent the parent the money, then the parent's social will be on the form.   If the administrator sent the money directly to the school (or the student), the student's social will be on the form
  • the 1098T goes on the parents return, assuming the parent CAN claim the student (whether they do or not is not the question) AND Box 1 and any related expenses EXCEED Box 5.  Otherwise it goes on the student's return. 

please post the following and we can explain the math


1) Box 1 and Box 5 of  form 1098T

2) Box 1 and Box 2 of Form 1099Q

3) any qualified expenses (Room and Board, books, computer expenses, etc.) that are NOT part of Box 1 of Form 1098T

4) whose social security number is on the 1099Q

5) are you eligible for AOTC? (AGI below $160,000)

6) confirm your student is a dependent on your tax return.

This widget could not be displayed.
Privacy Settings