Level 15
This widget could not be displayed.


Yes.  This is a common situation, not only in the case of a 529 plan, but when the parent wants to claim a tuition credit for their student-dependent's expenses.  The 1098-T is only an informational document. The info can go on either the student or parent's return and sometimes both.