In2oh

The QTP is wrong in my 2017 return. The total tuition, rm&brd, & books exceed the 529 distribution, but Ttax only includes rm&brd in the QTP. How do I get resolution?

The calculations for qualified tuition expenses are inaccurate in TurboTax.  Who do I contact to resolve this?

Anita01

Education

When you entered the 1098-T, you were asked how much of the expense you wanted to allocate to the education credits,  If you made no entry or selected all the expenses, then the only expenses left over to make the 529 distribution nontaxable would be those expenses not eligible for the credit, such as room and board.  Go back through the education credit interview and make an allocation selection.$4,000 allocated to the  credit will maximize your credit and allow the balance to be allocated  to the 529 income.  Allocating 0 to the credit allows all expenses to be allocated the 529 money

View solution in original post

In2oh

Education

Thank you.  That was extremely helpful.  I didn't understand the impact of that question when I first encountered it, so I skipped through it using the default value.
pulind

Education

this was very very helpful.. I did not understand this question but I knew 1099-Q was not giving me all the credit for my education expense. This saved me a lot of money. thank you very much
Anita01

Education

You are very welcome, glad it helped